Tritonhaven Forum - The number one Korg Triton forum
Tritonhaven Forum - The number one Korg Triton forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

• UPDATE: forum has been opened READ-ONLY, so we don't accept registrations anymore
  • To browse: change 'Show topics from last 30 days' to 'show all topics'
  • Use search in this forum to find your answer to questions (this is info of more than 9000 Triton Users)
  • Need to discuss Korg Triton? Please visit Korg Forums
 All Forums
 3. Triton (and other synths) questions and answers
 Triton newbie questions (general)
 Touchview-thumbsup/down? stable/unstable? durable?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter D

5 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2004 :  20:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

The Touchview screen is my biggest issue about buying the Triton Studio. I searched Tritonhaven for over 30 minutes and only found brief and
passing mentions addressing the ease, quality, and durability of the Touchview screen (maybe I was doing a poor search). Since it's the main
interface for the Triton I figure there'll be plenty of response on this issue (I hope). If it's been addressed at length somewhere else in this
forum, could someone please direct me to it. Otherwise, bring on the replies. I'd like to make this my main workstation for the next ten years.
I've demoed it at the store but I think you have to use it a lot to know just how it will hold up over time and whether it makes using the Triton
transparent and quick or cumbersome and time-consuming. Will that touchscreen last, is it annoying or the best thing since sliced bread.

Thanks, Peter D

(sorry, I posted this in the wrong section -Triton Extreme- previously. This is the right section)

Synthoid
Advanced Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2004 :  22:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two cents:

I've had my Triton for over 4 years and no problems with the touch screen. Also....I've spoken to a few salespeople who have seen used Tritons and even Trinitys come and go with no screen problems. The technology seems to be holding up well.
Go to Top of Page

MartinHines
Tritonhaven guru

USA
3888 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2004 :  00:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Physically the Touch Screens hold up well. Korg started using them on the Trinity (1996).

Korg continues to use them in all of their high-end keyboards (workstations and arrangers). Therefore, also given the market research Korg does, THEY obviously think Touch Screens work well.

The biggest benefit is "screen real estate" -- they can put a lot of information on a single screen. You can get a good idea by comparing it to the Triton Rack, LE, or Karma (a lot more button pushes).

The drawback is you don't get the same "tactile" feel as with pushing buttons. You have to develop a "style" of using your fingertip/nail (some people even use a PDA plastic pen, but that seems clumsy to me).

At least in the U.S., manufacturers are required to keep parts' inventory for 7 years. If the Touch Screen ever DID fail (and I haven't been around long enough to personally know of any failures), you could get it replaced. Given the retail cost of the part, I would assume that it would be around $300 to replace it:
http://www.marshallparts.com/content/estore_details.asp?product=232

I assume you are probably researching the "big three" keyboard workstations: Korg Triton Studio/Extreme, Yamaha Motif ES, and Roland Fantom X. The user interface is just one of a number of factors you will have to use as decision criteria. I would suggest demoing keyboards in your store. If I were making a 10-year commitment, I would probably spend HOURS spanned over different days demoing them.

Finally, all three companies have their product manuals in electronic format for download. You might want to browse each one as see if that gives additional information:
http://www.korg.com/service/downloads.asp
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/download.php?div=emi&lang=english
http://www.roland.com/manuals/en/index_alpha.html

In USA: Korg Tech Support 516-333-USER.
Other: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/n.html

Edited by - MartinHines on 31/10/2004 00:10:43
Go to Top of Page

Synthoid
Advanced Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2004 :  00:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If I were making a 10-year commitment, I would probably spend HOURS spanned over different days demoing them.

Amen....10 years is a long time. I usually upgrade after 5.
Go to Top of Page

_Thoth_
Tritonhaven Member

Portugal
17 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2004 :  01:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Just my 2 cents. Looks like I'm one of those unfortunate bastards... Even my korg representative was astonished.
I had my Triton Studio for about 3 months only and the screen started to flicker. It looked like the backlit was made of 2 independent fluorescent lamps, and one of them was taking a bit more time to come up.
As the months passed the situation degraded until the day where both the "lamps" died permanently (I didn't drop the machine, no humidity, no spills, just... Died).
I could still see the contents of the screen, but the backlit was gone.

Took the Triton to my representative, waited for 4 months and got it back with a new screen. There was a problem with the customs, and they took a long time to get the screen from Korg Japan.

The representative said that he'd never seen the screen malfunction the way it did to mee... SIGH!!!!

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Peter D

5 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2004 :  01:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Synthoid, Thoth, and MartinHines,

Excellent and helpful feedback. I'm still using an Emu EIII keyboard, believe it or not, purchased in 1995 so it's been just about ten years. I try not to get too tied into equipment hype and envy. The EIII has its limitations for sure given the current technology, but it's still amazing what great stuff you can turn out with it....and I can do it at lighting speed because the learning curve occured in the first year of ownership. I'm a bit apprehensive about learning a whole new operating system and absorbing all the latest technology, but if I can keep a Triton for ten years, too, I'm willing to make the leap.

I'd like to hear from some people who have some issues with the Touchview screen, too, to keep those issues in mind when demoing the Triton further.

Thanks again

Peter D

Edited by - Peter D on 31/10/2004 01:27:42
Go to Top of Page

MartinHines
Tritonhaven guru

USA
3888 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2004 :  05:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter D

I'm a bit apprehensive about learning a whole new operating system and absorbing all the latest technology, but if I can keep a Triton for ten years, too, I'm willing to make the leap.

Look at it this way, whatever keyboard you decide to use, you have 10 years to figure it out !!!! :)

Given you have waited this long, you might want to wait until January to make a final decision. There are three big events where manufacturers announce new keyboards:
- Winter NAMM (January 20-23, 2005)
- MusikMesse (April 6-9, 2005)
- Summer NAMM (July 22-24, 2005)

WinterNAMM or MusikMesse is usually when keyboards are announced. You wouldn't be able to buy one for a few months after that.

In USA: Korg Tech Support 516-333-USER.
Other: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/n.html
Go to Top of Page

Peter D

5 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2004 :  19:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MartinHines,

You seem to be THE man. Thanks again.

Peter D
Go to Top of Page

Synthoid
Advanced Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2004 :  21:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Triton's OS is very intuitive.....I figured it out very quickly. There are many, many programs and combis to audition, but navigating is fairly easy after an afternoon or two of stepping through the parameters, etc.

Of course, I can't stress this enough.....if you buy the Triton, read the manual.
Go to Top of Page

nuskoolbreaks_head
Advanced Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  15:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a cue tip to do my navigating.

The screen is GOD!

buy the Triton!

Breakbeat is KING!
Go to Top of Page

jacqueslacouth
Starting Member

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2005 :  06:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had my triton a few years now. Over the past year the screen has got BRIGHTER!!!. It actually gets so bright after an hour or so it becomes near impossible to read, Anyone else ever heard of this?
Go to Top of Page

Synthia
Tritonhaven Member

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2005 :  13:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never had any trouble with the touchscreens on my Triton Studio,classic and the Trinity.I love the touchscreen.Can't beat them.The Triton Studio is fantastic.Go for it.The sounds will blow you away.

http://www.jupiter-music.com/synthia.htm
Music keeps me sane in an insane world!
Go to Top of Page

Martigan
Tritonhaven Addict

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2005 :  03:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Peter,

I have had my Triton Classic for about 3 years and have had no problem w/ the touch screen. If I can give a word of advise...
I researched the Roland Phantom X online and took the time to compared it to the Triton Studio at my local music store side by side. I also briefly looked at the Yamaha. My findings as unbiased as possible...

Yamaha- I am not too impressed with the ES. The sounds were good but it was difficult finding my way around on it. It seemed more of a board for the not so serious musician, and besides dosn't Yamaha make motorcycles?

Phantom X- Sounds were not very good at all. Lots of cool gadgets but I would rather have a string section that sounds like a string section rather than a synth sounding string section. There is also a learning curve for me because I am already a Triton owner.

Triton Studio- The sounds were far better that the two above and there is no learning curve. Once you work with the Triton it's easy to get around, the manuals are intimidating at first but the best thing to do is poke around and learn, this thing isn't going to blow up if you touch it wrong.

Just get it over with; buy the Triton Studio (or the new version when it comes out) and be done with it. Watch every band, on tv in concert and videos and see what they're playing and most of them play a Triton. I plan on purchasing a Studio when the price drops and I personally can't belive that I even considered buying anything else.

My opinion, thanks
Go to Top of Page

Equinoxe
Tritonhaven guru

United Kingdom
1971 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2005 :  21:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trouble with Touchscreens.....

Once your used to them.....You find yourself touching up every other synths Keyboard screen you demo,especially if they have a large display........Ahem**cough***

force of habit i suppose

E Q U I N O X E
Go to Top of Page

MIMAX
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2005 :  20:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had a Trinity pro since 1998 and my Triton Studio 88 since 2003 never had any problems. I once met the developer for the Trinity @ an EXPO in Verona It. who encouraged we to remove the plastic from my Trinity after a year. I thought it would scrach. At this point I trade it all even my DIGI 002, to have the OASYS!
Go to Top of Page

kingjames
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  19:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anyway to adjust the brightness of the touchview screen?
Go to Top of Page

keydoggy1952
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2005 :  23:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding adjusting the brightness. My Extreme's got a little black adjustment knob on the back of the keyboard. You can twiddle that to get the brightness you want. It also seems to affect the visibility of the display from different angles, too.

I've had my Triton for siz months and not had any problems with the screen. It makes the Triton at least twice as fast to program as any other synth I've owned. Which for me, is vastly important.

I think the touch screen, and the nature of the information you can access quickly from it, is one of the great benefits of the Triton. It's great to just poke at something and change it, instead of searching for buttoms to push.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tritonhaven Forum - The number one Korg Triton forum © @ 2001 - 2013 Tritonhaven.com Go To Top Of Page